+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Superbike traction control systems

Superbike traction control systems

Does anyone have any review articles or videos comparing the different traction control systems on super sport bikes?
    How does it intervene? how effective is it? how close is it to that in WSBK bikes? which is best for your regular track day goer?
    More manufacturers are putting TC as standard on their liter bikes, the latest is Yamaha on the 2012 R1.
    But how does it compare to the TC on the Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, or the MV Agusta?

I've not heard anything about the R1 TC yet.
    But the Kawasaki system is not as complex as some of the other bikes. It has no gyro to detect banking angles and has 3 modes compared to the 8 level TC offered on the other bikes.

Bro traction control in pro racing is different that the one on the street bike

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Bro traction control in pro racing is different that the one on the street bike
    I know the TC and even the whole electronic package is different on the race bikes. I was asking how big a gap is the performance on race vs street.

Quarantine, I managed to come across an article from cycle world that tests the electronics on all the bikes
    But the their test is not complete because they crashed the RSV4 very early in the test

conclusion
    What we ultimately discovered is that traction control delivers confidence and lap-time improvement in different doses depending on who’s twisting the throttle.
    With Cernicky in the saddle, a couple of trends are visible from the VBox data. The bike with the most power (BMW) and the one with the most torque (Ducati) were easier to ride with TC on, resulting in faster lap times at Mark’s pro-level pace. In the case of the ZX-10R, which went quicker with TC disabled, Cernicky felt that he may have been better off in setting 1 for less intervention, but S-KTRC works so transparently, it was hard to tell if it was cutting power. As for the Aprilia, we’ll unfortunately never know what the outcome would have been. Also, because the crash was initially caused by losing the front, we can’t say for certain if TC would have saved him.
    But comments from other CW staffers unanimously praised TC for the confidence and security it gave them, allowing even those who rarely get to ride on a racetrack to be very comfortable on these fire-spitting liter bikes.
    Ranking them seemed daunting at first but easily sorted itself out as the data poured in and the miles were poured on.
    The Ducati was outgunned by as much as 20 hp, which proved critical when facing a headwind on an uphill straightaway. Despite offering magical handling, it couldn’t make up for the deficit. It also proved to be the least comfortable on the street.
    Kawasaki’s fate was sealed by having no other way to comply with U.S. regulations except for shutting down the top-end power that is available in Europe, where the bike typically makes around 180 rear-wheel horsepower on the dyno. This meant that despite excellent handling and traction control, it couldn’t match the superbike incumbent’s performance. It also doesn’t make nearly as much noise as the BMW screaming around the track. The ZX-10R was, however, the bike of choice on the street in terms of comfort, smoothness and ease of use.
    The Aprilia proved impressive, and you can’t argue with the second-fastest lap time of the test. But, even with the help of a company tech, we never truly came to terms with chassis setup and handling, a situation made more difficult by less-than-perfect throttle response. Aprilia’s sophisticated and user-friendly APRC system gives the most flexibility, while street manners were much better than expected. And, ohhh, that V-Four sound.
    But nothing could stop the combination of raw power and capable electronic management possessed by the BMW S1000RR. It was unstoppable on the track, refined enough on the street and, simply put, injected a dose of bravado into even the most timid among us. We rode both faster and safer, and that in itself is worth its weight in silicon.
    full article here
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2011/08/19...mparison-test/

It's a good point to have traction conrol on a bike

Tc and abs r really important for sport bikes

Late, thanks for the link. Unfortunately cycle world don't have a very good reputation when it comes to reviewing bikes.
    Don't ask me why, but the online community don't give them a whole lot of respect

Quote Originally Posted by GhOsT RiDeR View Post
    It's a good point to have traction conrol on a bike

Tc and abs r really important for sport bikes
    Ghost, ABS I have not tried so I can't judge if its beneficial or not. But TC gives me a whole lot more confidence on the track.
    Big safety net, that doesn't have me worrying about throttle input all the time.
    I can't feel the TC kick in, but the flashing yellow light on the dash in corner exit proves it does work.

+ Reply to Thread